CUPE is committed to minimising the impact of its activities on the environment.
The key points of its strategy to achieve this are:
- Work towards being Carbon Net Zero by 2030
- Minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible.
- Minimise toxic emissions through the selection and use of its equipment and the source of its power requirement.
- Actively promote recycling both internally and amongst its customers and suppliers.
- Source and promote a product range to minimise the environmental impact of both production and distribution.
- Meet or exceed all the environmental legislation that relates to the Company.
- Choose public transport wherever possible and appropriate.
Current operations include:
- Recycling all wastepaper as scrap or in an official recycling scheme.
- Printing double sided, unless inappropriate.
- Recycling tins, plastics, cardboard and other items that the local council will collect.
- Re-using boxes for packaging where suitable.
- Partnering other organisations to re-use bubble wrap which would otherwise be wasted.
- Encouraging car sharing where possible.
- Giving materials to trainers to take to courses where possible to avoid sending them.
- Sending items to clients in batches unless inappropriate.
- Reduce the frequency of ordering to reduce the impact of deliveries. Where possible, use online materials
- Utilising technology to avoid travel where possible.
- Moving to a remote working model to reduce travel and environmental impact of buildings maintenance of a small team.